Fam Bam Party at Mosswood Park

>> Thursday, September 8, 2011

IMG_2605

I was supposed to stay at home and finish the laundry, mop the kitchen, clean the bathroom, and all that other stuff. But what I look like working on Labor Day?

Actually, I started doing that stuff, but what had happened was, I got a text from Oakland poet Talia Taylor inviting me to "come party with myself and some of Oakland's finest at Mosswood Park." I was pretty sure Oakland's finest didn't mean the po-po, so when I got a call from another fine sista, I had to go.

And of course I brought my camera.

IMG_2247
Kwame Ntoto dunks at Mosswood Park.

In the shadow of Kaiser, across from the old MacArthur Broadway (MB) Mall, the park was G-Rated shmopping (smacking and popping). After riding with the Hazmat Boys–who swooped me after I missed my bus–I stopped by the hoop courts. Last time I played hoop at Mosswood, Hook Mitchell was jumping over motorcycles.

IMG_2223
A young woman dances in front of the DJ booth by the Mosswood basketball courts.

A BBQ and BBall contest organized by the sons of Kemba Shakur was going on. It was beautiful seeing all these young folks having fun–not to mention creating activities. It wasn't apart of the I am Oakland event, but that's my fam bam.

I headed over to the main area with my brotha from anotha, Trackademics. What I love most about this brotha is his humility. He's a dope artist with a slapping debut album, has produced beats from your favorite artists, and there's even a Wikipedia page about Trackademicks.

SLIDESHOW: Oakland Fam Bab Labor Day Get Down Photos



The Oakland Fam Bam Labor Day Get Down was really like a family reunion. It had the spirit of Oakland's Carijama, a defunct festival that took place at Mosswood park every May–prior to nigga nonsense, Oakland Police provocation, and (now Gov'na) Jerry Gentrification. But this time, the bicycle parking was Red, Bike and Green.

There was a jumper for the children (even though it was leaning like some grown folks were inside), food, dancing and live art.

IMG_2433
Oakland artists Refa1 and Khufy were painting "Somalia" and "Unapologetically Black."

IMG_2304
Artist and educator Karen Senefru gathers dirt to mix with sage that will be put inside a satchel for an upcoming art exhibit.

The dancing was my highlight. People danced to everything from Michael Jackson to Too $hort. And after the Electric Slide, my lil' brotha Essau set the dance circle off.

IMG_2345
Essau Bilal dances before his many admirers.

After folks danced to the sounds of the DJ D-Sharp and Aabledee, among others, the drums took center stage. Folks were going to go watch "The Wiz" in the amphitheatre, but you can't just turn the drums off.

IMG_2568
Jazmine Vassar leads the Samba impromptu ensemble at Mosswood Park.

Mosswood was transformed into the Malonga Center, as the sounds of samba vibrated to the top of the trees, into the dusk sky.

The video below created by Sasha Kelly of C-Proof features footage from the event and an interview with the event organizer, Travis Watts, of I-Am Oakland.


Share

2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM  

Loving it!! thank you Reggie for your fine work :)

Blessings, Ceressa

Paul Smith September 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM  

I'd really like to appreciate it to the work you've received produced in composing this informative article.

EmployeeshuttleSan Francisco
Oakland school bus

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP