Mama, I'm gone be famous! On the set of "Novo jogo"

>> Sunday, September 4, 2011


This past weekend, I had the opportunity to play a small role in the short film, "Novo Jogo." The film was written and directed by Kwesi Johnson and is being produced by CB Smith.

Johnson, of Wade Made Media, is a filmmaker focusing on the African Diaspora and he's studying film at the California Institute of the Arts.

(See Kwesi Johnson's Reel on Vimeo).

I was really excited to be involved in the production. First, I've wanted to do more acting since being encouraged by Michael Torres at Laney College, then getting further encouragement from the Black Theater community in the Bay Area. And I had my film debut in "Confined Thoughts" in 2009.

Here's a few photos from the set.



The film's star, Chee, playing Capoeira in Berkeley. I portrayed his father.

Secondly, I liked the plot and concept: the impact of Capoeira on a young man who has some serious family/domestic issues. Being blessed to have played at Malonga (then Alice Arts Center) with Carlos Aceituno while in high school – not as much as I needed – I know the impact African martial arts and spirituality.


On the set with Cat. Sadly, you may not see such beautiful smiles in the film.

Finally, I got to play the baby daddy of She Cat. She's a dope educator, organizer and poet/actress that I've met through the Oscar Grant Movement.


The Director Kwesi Wade Johnson and the Director of Photography Roy Wanguhu set up the camera mount for our car scene.

I appreciated the patience and direction of the director, and just the whole professionalism of the crew. After taking a beginning Media Production class at Laney College last fall, being on the set with folks who truly knew their craft, I was humbled to both be in their presence, but to be able to learn from them all.

When we watch films, we do not realize the amount of time and effort that goes into creating films. Even films with few people in them may have a long list of people involved in the production.

Regardless, I look forward to more opportunities to improve my theatrical skills. And, of course, I can't wait to see the final production. Until then, here are some photos from the set.

All photos by C.B. Smith.



Top photo: Me, center, smashing on my B.M., Cat, while the director Kwesi looks on.

Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP